Keep safety in mind when planning summer trips to the high country
Three routes to lakes in the White Mountains have reopened after winter closures, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
They are: State Route 261 between Eagar and Big Lake; State Route 273 between Sunrise Park and Big Lake; and State Route 473 between State Route 260 and Hawley Lake.
Before heading off to enjoy the mountains, motorists should do the following:
• Make sure all occupants in a vehicle are buckled in.
• Check tire pressure, fluids and more to make sure a vehicle is in proper running condition.
• Be patient, including not following other vehicles too closely and building in extra travel time.
• Get enough sleep before the trip.
• Bring extra water and food.
• Never drink and drive.
• Check for information about highway restrictions and more by visiting az511.gov, calling 511 or following ADOT on Twitter (@ArizonaDOT).