Category: Featured

INCREASED THREAT OF FLASH FLOODING OVER PORTIONS OF MOHAVE COUNTY TODAY

AN AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL APPROACH FROM THE NW TODAY BEFORE MOVING EAST ACROSS UT TONIGHT & WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL INCREASE MOISTURE & AID IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF HEAVY RAIN PRODUCING THUNDERSTORMS ACROSS PORTIONS OF MOHAVE COUNTY FROM EARLY THIS MORNING THROUGH THIS EVENING. SOME OF THE STRONGER STORMS COULD PRODUCE STRONG OUTFLOW WINDS AS WELL. .FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING. THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR * A PORTION OF NW AZ.INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING  AREAS.NORTHWEST DESERTS & NW PLATEAU. Your CURRENT SEVERE Weather RADAR MAP Link.. http://www.emergencyemail.org/weathergetwang1.asp?src=DS.p19r0/si.kESX&scr=1 Today Day:AT THE RIVER Partly cloudy with scattered storms. Highs around 99°F. Heat index around 110°F. Southeast wind to 14 MPH. Chance of precipitation 40 percent. New precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch possible. IN THE MTS Day: Mostly cloudy with scattered storms. Highs around 86°F. South wind 9 to 19 MPH, gusting to 28 MPH. Chance of precipitation 60 percent. New precipitation amounts from one quarter to one half of an inch possible.  Night:AT THE RIVER Partly cloudy with scattered storms. Lows around 82°F. South wind 5 to 13 MPH, gusting to 17 MPH. Chance of precipitation 40 percent. New precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch possible. IN THE MTS Night: Partly cloudy with thunderstorms likely. Lows around 66°F. South southwest wind 7 to 16 MPH, gusting to 22 MPH. Chance of precipitation 60 percent. New precipitation amounts up to one quarter inch...

Read More

LAUGHLIN/BULLHEAD AIRPORT OBSERVES NATIONAL AVIATION DAY ON SATURDAY

Tri-State area aviation enthusiasts will have a chance Saturday (August 16) to soar in the skies with their feet firmly planted on the ground. The Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport will host  National Aviation Day, a 75-year tradition first started by presidential proclamation. The free event is open to the public from 8:00 am until 11:00 am. It will be located at Landmark Aviation, the  airport’s fixed base operator, located one block south of the main terminal building and passenger boarding area, 2550  Laughlin View Drive in Bullhead City. Parking is available adjacent to Landmark Aviation, with overflow parking just north of the terminal. “We expect to have a variety of aircraft,” said Airport Director Jeremy Keating. “That includes helicopters, jets, single engine and experimental aircraft parked on the ramp. There’s even a free breakfast.”  The airport’s flight schedule for the morning also includes three airline landings and departures for the public to watch. A Republic Airways Embraer E-190 flight to Kansas City is scheduled to leave at 9:00 am. Also at 9:00, a Sun Country Airlines Boeing 737 is scheduled to arrive from Duluth, Minnesota, departing again at 9:45 am for Bemidji, Minnesota. National Aviation Day has been observed in the United States each year since 1939 to celebrate the history and development of aviation. It coincides with the birthday of Orville Wright who, together with his brother Wilbur, made significant contributions to...

Read More

Victory

Solar energy once was considered a feel-good story.  We celebrated every announcement as a victory.  The promise of free non-polluting power was the hook-line. We celebrated a vision of Arizona where a significant amount of clean energy is produced from the power of the sun. We celebrated Calex Homes for a joint-venture with SRP that introduced both solar water heating and photovoltaics into new home construction.  Johnson Ranch Estates in the East Valley and Armory Park del Sol in Tucson were celebrated for integrating aesthetically pleasing solar systems into the roofs of houses. There were feel-good solar stories of houses whose passive solar features (orientation, thermal mass and masonry construction) provided the majority of their heating needs.  Homeowners like the Ekenbergs in Flagstaff, and Warren and Carol Brown near Benson, shared their passive solar success stories. There were stories of solar pioneers that built beyond the power lines and enjoyed every convenience that a “grid-tied” home enjoyed – even tv.  People like Gary and Marti Ross in Tucson, and Gino and Helen Holton in Prescott. There were even legal victories like the Madigans and Speaks families prevailing in court against their Homeowner Association in a decision that ensured the rights of homeowners everywhere to install and use solar systems on their property. We celebrated our utilities as responsible corporate citizens when they rolled out rebate programs.  Even though the...

Read More

Police Investigate Body Found in Pima Wash

Lake Havasu City Police officers were dispatched following the report of a possible deceased body found in Pima Wash in the 2100 block of McCulloch Blvd. N.  The body was found lying in the culvert and in advanced stages of decomposition.  The body appeared to have been exposed to the elements for several days. The body appears to be that of an adult male and the clothing seems to be consistent with that of a man who has been contacted by police on prior occasions for sleeping in the culvert area.  The body was taken to the Mohave County Medical Examiner’s Office in Lake Havasu City where an autopsy is scheduled sometime this week to positively identify the decedent.  There were no obvious signs of foul play at the scene. Anyone with information related to this investigation is encouraged to contact the Lake Havasu City Police Department at 928-855-1171. Anonymous information can also be called into Lake Havasu Silent Witness at 928-854-TIPS (8477)....

Read More

Coffee with the Mayor and City Manager

Lake Havasu City Mayor Mark S. Nexsen and City Manager Charlie Cassens invite the public to meet for coffee and casual conversation from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., Saturday, August 2, at The Bagel Bin, 1960 Mesquite Avenue, Suite A. The next two future meetings are scheduled as follows: Friday, September 5, from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. at Jersey’s Grill, located at 2049 McCulloch Boulevard. Friday, October 3, from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. at Makai Café, (under Barley Brothers Brewery & Grill) 1425 McCulloch Boulevard North.  Residents are encouraged to attend to express any issues, concerns, or questions. The...

Read More