The glittering lights of a Christmas tree may have caused a fire that displaced a family of four.  Phoenix Fire Captain Mark Vanacore says the fire originated in a room where the family had placed a live Christmas tree.  When the family left the house Saturday afternoon, they didn’t turn the Christmas tree lights off.  Within

minutes, neighbors noticed the fire and called for help.  They could see flames coming out the windows and sides of the home.  No one was injured.  The cause of the fire is under investigation, however, crews believe the tree lights sparked the fire. 

Make your Christmas Merry by keeping your tree safe.  Vanacore encourages safe-use of electrical and illuminating decorations.  Always turn off your Christmas lights when you leave your house or go to bed.   Keep electrical connections clean, neat and clear of combustibles. Use “UL approved” electrical components to be cautious and do not overload electrical outlets.

Kris Dugan