unnamed (13)With Christmas just around the corner, now is the time of year people start putting up the Christmas lights.  Before you begin stringing the lights this Holiday season, read these important tips to ensure your family’s safety.

  • Inspect electrical decorations for damage before use. Cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious shock or start a fire.
  • Do not overload electrical outlets. Overloaded electrical outlets and faulty wires are a common cause of holiday fires.
  • Never connect more than three strings of incandescent lights. More than three strands may not only blow a fuse, but can also cause a fire.
  • Keep your live Christmas trees fresh by watering daily. Dry trees are a serious fire hazard.
  • Use battery-operated candles. Candles start almost half of home decoration fires
  • Protect cords from damage. To avoid shock or fire hazards, cords should never be pinched by furniture, forced into small spaces such as doors or windows, placed under rugs, located near heat sources, or attached by nails or staples.
  • Stay in the kitchen when something is cooking. Unattended cooking equipment is the leading cause of home cooking fires
  • Turn off, unplug, and extinguish all decorations when going to sleep or leaving the house. Half of home fire deaths occur between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

 

728x90-SWG-Safety-Web-Banner_2014