2014 07-14 Canelo Rd Structure Fire - O'Donohue (01) a GVFD Firefighters made short work of a structure fire, containing the majority of the fire damage to the porch and front room entrance of this Golden Valley home.  The 911 call came in about 10:45 pm for the structure fire from the lone occupant of this home on Canelo Road. Golden Valley Firefighters arrived minutes later and quickly extinguished the fire and began a routine search of the home, and discovered the family pet was in cardiac arrest.  Paramedic / Firefighters attempted CPR to assist with breathing, but the dog succumbed to the smoke inhalation and died at the scene.  The homeowner reportedly tried to rescue the dog, who had recently given birth to five puppies, all who were saved by the homeowner, but she was unable to catch the mother dog and had to retreat due to the heavy smoke. Chief O’Donohue stated it’s never wise to go back into a burning home to rescue an animal, rather call 911 and let the firefighters rescue any animals when they arrive.  Golden Valley Fire Marshal Randy Osborn cited improper disposal of smoking material as the cause of the fire.     PHOTOS (courtesy/GVFD): Firefighter Matt Gore begins the attack on the structure fire Contributed by: VFD Firefighters made short work of a structure fire, containing the majority of the fire damage to the porch and front room entrance of this Golden Valley home.  The 911 call came in about 10:45 pm for the structure fire from the lone occupant of this home on Canelo Road. Golden Valley Firefighters arrived minutes later and quickly extinguished the fire and began a routine search of the home, and discovered the family pet was in cardiac arrest.  Paramedic / Firefighters attempted CPR to assist with breathing, but the dog succumbed to the smoke inhalation and died at the scene.  The homeowner reportedly tried to rescue the dog, who had recently given birth to five puppies, all who were saved by the homeowner, but she was unable to catch the mother dog and had to retreat due to the heavy smoke. Chief O’Donohue stated it’s never wise to go back into a burning home to rescue an animal, rather call 911 and let the firefighters rescue any animals when they arrive.  Golden Valley Fire Marshal Randy Osborn cited improper disposal of smoking material as the cause of the fire.

PHOTOS (courtesy/GVFD) Firefighter Matt Gore begins the attack on the structure fire

Contributed by: Karen Christensen

728x90-SWG-Safety-Web-Banner_2014