2016 06-26 - Structure Fire 3806 Colorado Rd - O'Donohue - (01)GOLDEN VALLEY-An early morning fire in Golden Valley sent one female occupant to the hospital for injuries sustained while attempting to rescue several animals during the blaze.

On Friday, June 26 around 3 a.m. a family who lived in the 3800 block of Colorado Road was awoken by the smell of smoke. The male occupant reportedly stepped outside and discovered the garage, back porch and house was on fire, said Golden Valley Fire Chief Tom O’Donohue.

Despite a travel time of only 8-minutes from the fire station, said O’Donohue, Golden Valley firefighters reported the home was fully engulfed when fire personnel arrived on scene.

Capt. Rob Arnold reported he and his crew were greeted by arching power lines and a propane tank that was venting flames over 40-feet into the air. Fire fighters focused their attention immediately focused on surrounding exposures, such as a propane tank that could explode and a neighboring residence that had a motor home parked on the property line.

In addition, GVFD Firefighter/Paramedic Jimmy Childers assessed the female patient and requested an ambulance for transport for her injuries. She was taken to Kingman Regional Medical Center.

O’Donohue said one firefighter suffered a minor shoulder injury during the mop-up phase while moving roofing and appliances to get to parts of the fire that were hidden.

The cause of the fire was determined to be from a freezer that was stored in a hot garage. The freezer reportedly overheated and ignited the electrical wiring. Fire Marshal Randy Osborn said these types of situations are “a recipe for disaster because the freezer continually runs generating extreme heat.”

Six dogs perished in the fire with one cat still missing. Fire officials have determined the home to be a total loss.

728x90-SWG-Safety-Web-Banner_2014