Surprise Police say the making of homemade fireworks caused Sunday night’s deadly house explosion. The victim’s been identified as 38 year old Derek Baldwin. Sergeant Norman Owens says police responding to the scene found the resident lying in the home’s driveway with deadly injuries.
The blast was so powerful, Owens says, a neighbor down the road reported their whole house shook.
Owens says Baldwin was constructing fireworks in the garage just before the house blew up. Three children who were inside the home turned out to be safe. Investigators are looking what materials were used and how much was involved. Owens says it is illegal to build homemade fireworks.