The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is seeking public comment on draft proposed hunt guidelines for the 2018-19 through 2022-23 hunting seasons.
The draft proposed hunt guidelines provide the biological and social parameters used by wildlife biologists to formulate annual hunt recommendations (season structures, season lengths, season dates, permits allocated, etc.). These recommendations result in the annual hunts in which licensed hunters may participate.
While hunting opportunity is important, wildlife is held in the public trust; therefore, using science-based principles to shape the guidelines process remains paramount to ensure healthy, sustainable and diverse wildlife populations in perpetuity.
The draft proposed hunt guidelines were developed based on public input received earlier this year and can be viewed Friday at https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Guidelines/. The department still is seeking feedback on how to best meet the demands of the hunting public, while finding ways to develop new opportunities that help pass along our hunting heritage to future generations.
The webinar on the draft proposed hunt guidelines will take place from 6-8 p.m. June 5. The department will post directions on how to access the webinar next week. At the same time as the webinar, the department has scheduled a series of statewide public meetings where personnel will be available to show the webinar and answer questions or take comments regarding the draft proposed hunt guidelines from 6-8 p.m. June 5. Those locations include:
- AZGFD (Region III): 5325 N. Stockton Hill Road, Kingman
- AZGFD (Region IV): 9140 E. 28th, Yuma
- AZGFD (Region V): 555 N. Greasewood Road, Tucson
- AZGFD (Region VI): 7200 E. University Drive, Mesa
Four additional public meetings where constituents can view a PowerPoint presentation (no webinar), as well as provide input to department personnel, include:
- 6-8 p.m., May 31: AZGFD (Region II): 3500 S. Lake Mary Road, Flagstaff
- 6-8 p.m., May 31: Prescott Valley Public Library (auditorium), 7401 E. Civic Circle, Prescott Valley
- 6-8 p.m., June 5: Eagar Town Council Chambers, 22 W. 2nd, Eagar.
- 6-8 p.m. June 7: Payson Public Library (in the Rumsey Park Complex), 328 N. McLane Road, Payson.