With a NASCAR racing event (March 6-8) expected to draw more than 250,000 fans this week at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, the Arizona Department of Transportation is urging motorists traveling on Interstate 15 in the far northwestern corner of Arizona to allow extra travel time as the anticipated increase in traffic moves through an existing work zone in the Virgin River Gorge, nearly 100 miles northeast of Las Vegas. ADOT is currently working on a major reconstruction project on Virgin River Bridge No. 6 (milepost 16), located midway between Mesquite, Nevada, and St. George, Utah. While no active construction will be taking place this weekend, the highway is currently narrowed to one lane in each direction through the work zone until the project is completed in 2016. This $27 million project includes the replacement of the bridge’s superstructure (girders, deck and railings), as well as widening the roadway through the narrow passage of the gorge. ADOT is anticipating heavy traffic on southbound I-15 Friday afternoon, March 6, and on northbound I-15 all day on Sunday, March 8. With limited alternate routes due to the remote location of the I-15 Virgin River Gorge corridor, ADOT urges drivers to plan ahead, allow extra travel time, slow down and drive carefully through the work zone, and be alert for construction equipment and personnel. To stay up to date with the latest highway conditions around the state, visit the ADOT Traveler Information Center at az511.gov or call 511; outside of Arizona dial 1.888.411.ROAD (7623).
About The Author
January 16, 2016
October 31, 2014
January 17, 2015
February 21, 2015
- Santa Cruz River in jeopardy if international sewage pipe ruptures again, experts fear
- Tribally owned solar power plant beats skeptics, odds on Navajo Nation
- Tribal energy loan program starts, more than a decade after its OK
- August 15, 2018 Newscast | Cronkite News
- Environmentalists want Glen Canyon Dam removed, but is that possible?
- HAVASU POLICE ARREST IDENTITY THEFT TRIO on
- Merryman For Sheriff on
- Winter Storm Warning! Snow Possible through New Year’s Day on
- Supervisors Vote to Recommend Denial of Special Event Liquor License for Coconino Sheriff’s Candidate on