Some delays possible due to lane restrictions for current projects
PHOENIX ‒ Arizona drivers won’t encounter freeway closures for construction over the long New Year’s weekend, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
While no full freeway closures or additional restrictions are scheduled through Jan. 3, some delays are still possible due to lane restrictions in work zones, including Interstate 10 between Benson and Tucson and Interstate 15 in the Virgin River Gorge.
Please follow these safety recommendations when using Arizona’s highways this weekend:
• Never drive while impaired. As freeway message boards will remind you, designated drivers make the best New Year’s dates. Please keep in mind that buzzed driving is drunk driving.
• Check your vehicle ahead of time, including tire pressure, fluid levels and the condition of engine belts.
• Get a good night’s rest before a trip. Drowsy driving is unsafe.
• Buckle up and double-check child safety seats.
• Be patient, obey speed limits and don’t tailgate.
• Be prepared for unscheduled closures due to crashes, disabled vehicles, etc.
• Be prepared for changing weather and winter driving conditions. Have an emergency kit that includes extra clothes, blankets, flashlights, healthy snacks and drinking water. For information on items to put in an emergency kit, visit azdot.gov/KnowSnow.
For highway conditions around the state visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 511. You can also track highway condition updates via ADOT’s Twitter feed (@ArizonaDOT). Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov. Another great way to find out more about ADOT’s projects and programs to improve Arizona’s transportation system is the ADOT blog at www.azdot.gov/blog.