The 8th Annual Bullhead City River Regatta is just around the bend! On Saturday, August 9th, tens of thousands of floaters will drift down the Colorado River for the “Aloha” River Regatta event! The Bullhead City Police Department hopes participants will Regatta responsibly. Here are a few tips to help make this year’s river float an enjoyable and safe experience:
- All participants must wear a Coast Guard approved life vest while on the water.
- We also suggest you wear a wide brimmed hat, sunglasses, sunscreen (reapply every two hours) and water shoes or sneakers. Flip flops can easily slip off and float away, and you don’t want to come to shore in bare feet!
- Bring and drink lots of water.
- Bring a paddle or two so you can maneuver away from obstacles and toward the landing site.
- While floating, stay in the middle of the river and you’ll avoid most of the hazards.
- Stay away from boat docks and whirlpools. Boat docks line the river on both sides, which are hazardous for tubers.
- If you end up in the water without your tube, do NOT swim against the current. You will have your life vest on, so just float until you can get back on a tube.
- Do not tie more than 10 tubes together, unless you are competing in the decorated float contest. Use C-clamps for quick release.
- No kegs, Styrofoam coolers or glass is allowed.
- Keep an eye out for signs directing you to Safety Stops, which will be located on islands along the float route. These stops are for emergencies only.
- Watch for the white pipe, overhead, crossing the river. That tells you the Rotary Park landing site is about a quarter mile on the left. When you pass under the pipe, start paddling toward the eastern shore (left, portside). There is a lot of room to land. If you miss it, don’t panic. Further downstream is Don Sullivan Memorial Park.
- A medical tent will be located at Rotary Park for those who need medical assistance.
- If you become separated from your party, you can proceed to the Police Department’s Missing/Separated station at Rotary Park where you will be able to leave a message for members of your party on a message board. However, it’s a good idea to organize a meeting point ahead of time.
For more Bullhead City River Regatta information or to register online, go to www.bullheadregatta.com.